Wouldn't it be nice to go to an event with lots of likeminded business people and enjoy proceedings from start to finish? Here are 6 ways to organise an enjoyable face to face networking event. I know this works because I attended an event very like this recently and actually enjoyed it!
1. Invite people who will enjoy what you have to offer. If you are in a female networking group and your event will be quite girly then that's a good start. Or, if you're a creative and you are in a network of creative's - invite them.
2. Make the event exclusive so that your guests feel special. Make sure they know that they have to RSVP to get on the guest list.
3. Organise several short fun demos by you and your fellow contributors or speakers. For example - a mini fashion show or a demo like 'how to make a necklace' or 'how to make a cocktail'.
4. Play music (or get a DJ) and provide drinks and snacks so that you have a real party atmosphere. The music also means there are less awkward silences. To keep costs down you can also invite local businesses to provide snacks and drinks as a sample of what they have to offer - just make sure you include them in your advertising.
5. Make sure, as the host that you ask anyone that you've not met before, who they are and what they do so that they feel their visit was worthwhile. You want them to attend any future events and if they feel like they were just just to make up numbers they probably won't come back.
6. Create a hashtag for your event. Make sure it is well displayed all over your venue and on your marketing materials so that your guests can share the entire experience on social media. It's a great way to get your event and your business name shared with all of your guests' customers and followers.
Do you love or hate networking? Have you been to an enjoyable networking event, if so - what made it enjoyable? I'd love to hear in the comments below, or you can tweet me.